• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Post-Concussion question

liltokerboy

Bluelighter
I know this might not be the right forum to ask this in, but I figure it's worth a try:

I suffered a mild concussion last Monday ( August 3rd ) while mountain biking. I did not black out or lose consciousness. I got up and walked my bike back to my car. My girlfriend drove me to the hospital where I was diagnosed with a mild concussion. My question is, how long should I wait before I start exercising again? I normally ride 10 hours a week or so, and I'm getting quite antsy. I had the concussion 8 days ago, and most of my symptoms have subsided. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I really don't feel like paying to go in and see a doctor again, but I will if I have to.

Any advice is appreciated.

Do you know what class of concussion it was?

For a very minor concussion, 10 days is generally what it takes to return to normal function.

You said that "most" of your symptoms have subsided - may I ask which ones you had post-concussion, and which ones you're still experiencing, even minorly?

If you do start back exercise now, be sure to start off more slowly and work your way back up to what you are used to doing, rather than jumping back in at the same level as before.